Move Over Candied Yams! It’s Aunt Gina’s Sweet Potato Pie
My sister-in-law, Aunt Gina is renowned for her delectable cooking. Her sweet potato pie is a family favorite every Thanksgiving.
Ingredients for the Potatoes
3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk (make sure you always measure liquid ingredients in a liquid measuring cup)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
Ingredients for the topping
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup butter, melted
- With adult help, preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a casserole dish.
- Peel enough sweet potatoes to make 3 cups, about 5 large potatoes. Place in a pot and cover with water. Boil until soft enough to mash. Drain.
- Mash potatoes in a large mixer. Add the sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk and butter. Mix.
- Pour mixture into the buttered casserole.
- Mix together the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle over the potato mixture.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Allow to stand a few minutes before serving.